An average family of four can
compost over 500 kilograms of food and yard waste in a year
Source: Government of Alberta (2008) "Waste facts" Alberta Environment
How does the Cart Collection Program work?
The enhanced garbage and recycling collection system is designed to make it easy for residents to
keep organics and recyclables from ending up in the landfill, thereby helping to reduce greenhouse
IN THE KITCHEN:
A Kitchen Catcher or pail is great for collecting food scraps. Simply empty its contents into your Organicart. A Kitchen Catcher can be used with or without a lining of compostable bags, paper bags or newsprint.
TIPS FOR USE:
- Keep your Kitchen Catcher in a convenient
location, and use it to gather your food waste.
- Line your container with paper towels or a few sheets of newspaper to make cleaning easier - or, purchase small, compostable bags.
- As you prepare food, place organic material into the container.
- Empty the Kitchen Catcher daily into the
- Rinse the container after use.
IN THE YARD:
- Yard waste can be put directly into the Organicart.
- Small branches or prunings must be cut to fit completely inside the Organicart (maximum hree feet long and six inches in diameter).
What goes where?
Use the grey Waste Cart for garbage, green Organicart for organics and Blue Bag(s) only for recyclables.
4905-51 Avenue Stony Plain Alberta Canada T7Z 1Y1 T: 780.963.2151 F: 780.963.2197